Do you know why we celebrate Christmas? Jesus, our Savior, is the reason we celebrate Christmas. We celebrate Jesus who was born in a manager in a little town of Bethlehem so very long ago because of the promise He was born to fulfill. He was born so that He could die to save us from our sins (more about that at Easter).
It’s easy to get caught up in gifts, Santa and stress while preparing for Christmas. So how can we prepare our hearts and keep Jesus at the center of our celebrations?
1. A great way to prepare our hearts is by reading the story of Jesus’s birth together as a family. Start at Luke 1:26 and read a little bit each day until Christmas. You can make this fun for young kids by marking off each day you read with stickers on a calendar or waiting to open chocolate advent calendars after you read each day.
2. Some families bake Jesus a birthday cake and sing happy birthday to him on Christmas. Isn’t it just like our Savior to have a birthday party and give us the gifts? He is so good.
3. Display a Nativity scene in your home. You will surely remember the real reason to celebrate Christmas every time you walk by your Nativity scene. Families with younger kids may want to select of Nativity scene made of wooded or plastic pieces because Kids love to help set up a Nativity scene.
4. Visit a live Nativity together as a family. Several churches in our area are hosting both walk-through and drive-through Nativities. Here are several Nativity events going on so you can be sure to find one that fits your schedule.
• New Life Christian Church in Chantilly, VA – Journey to the Manger December 17th - 19th from 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. This is a drive through Nativity with real people and live animals. https://newlife.church/
• Gateway Community in South Riding, VA – Christmas Wonderland Walk with Live Nativity December 11th (rain date: December 12th) 5:30p.m. – 8:30 p.m. This is a live Nativity with interactive stations and a petting zoo that you and your family can walk through together. https://gatewaychurch.org/
• McLean Presbyterian Church in McLean, VA – Live Nativity December 11th 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. This is a very child friendly live Nativity with petting zoo, interactive stations and a play. https://mcleanpres.org/events/live-nativity/